Saturday 28 September 2013

"Why I acted nude" – Nollywood Actor Benson Okonkwo Reveals.


Benson Okonkwo started acting few years ago. Ironically, it wasn’t really an exceptional acting skill that got him to be among the most talked about actors, Okonkwo’s name went viral when the rumour of his sexual preference hit the Internet.
Rumour has it that Okonkwo is a homosexual. However, the young man, in a recent chat with Saturday Beats, claimed the story was a by-product of a role he acted in a movie recently.
He said, “I did a movie, Pregnant Hawker, and I played the role of a gay in that movie. As an actor, you should interpret any role given to you and your ability to do that is what matters the most. I played the role very well. I am not gay. I was just acting. I am a professional. It was just a job that I was doing. I am not going to convince everybody that I am not gay. But for the records, I just did my job. I have played a gay role in three movies. I am a calm, loving person.”
Even with the rumour gaining more momentum, the fine boy actor is not fazed.
“I will take up any role given to me as long as the pay is right. We are just acting. This is a world of make-believe. I am not going to stop. So many people knew I was just acting. Once it is your time to shine, that is when different stories will come up. If I don’t play the role well, same people will say that I don’t know how to act,” he told Saturday Beats.
Probably to convince the rumour mongers that he was straight, Okonkwo once pasted a picture he took with his supposed girlfriend on the Internet. But the girl almost immediately denied being Okonkwo’s girlfriend. She said the actor had always had preference for men.
But Okonkwo insisted he wasn’t going to talk about the reason the girl ‘denied’ their relationship. He said instead, “A lot of people want me to talk about it. I just don’t want to make that girl popular. She is looking for fame. I don’t have any comment and I will not talk about my relationship and I have not got any offer from any guy to be his gay partner.”
As if the gay rumour was not enough, Okonkwo also featured nude in a soon to be released movie, James Town, because, “the pay was good”.
“As an actor, your ability to interpret any role given to you is what makes you a good one. So Nigerians should understand that I was only doing my job. It’s just a movie. It’s a ghetto movie and I was one of the lead characters in it. It is a must-see movie. I just wish I can make it to Hollywood. The pay was very right. That was why I did the movie.”

0 comments: